CS 578P Coordination of Overpayment Obligations

01/24/85 Revised 10/26/17 Training Completed 12/18/03

45 CFR 302.51(a) (1)



The following establishes policy regarding coordination of IV-A overpayment cases handled by the Department of Workforce Services (DWS) and IV-A child support cases handled by the Office of Recovery Services/Child Support Services (ORS/CSS) when the custodial parent (CP) has been found ineligible for assistance primarily due to fraud.


When a child support CP (an overpayment non-custodial parent) is determined to be ineligible for cash assistance s/he received and an overpayment exists for the month or months in question, any child support the non-custodial parent (NCP) has paid covering this time period will be figured into the Unreimbursed Public Assistance (URA) calculation along with the amount of overpayment collections. 


Manually calculating URA is a joint effort between the CSS Central Registry Unit (CRU) and designated members of the DWS overpayment collection team.  When any combination of payments to the child support and overpayment cases have been made sufficient to reduce the URA balance to zero, the overpayment is considered paid in full and any remaining balance owed in the child support case is due the CP (the NCP in the overpayment case).  If DWS has a criminal restitution order for the amount of the overpayment, DWS will notify the criminal attorney to collect no further payments on the obligation, and inform Adult Probation and Parole (AP&P) that DWS considers the IV-A obligation paid in full.


DWS will credit all payments made to a IV-A overpayment case, including those made by the CSS NCP (who may be a co-NCP on the IV-A overpayment case), to the overpayment debt.  All payments made to the child support case will be credited to the IV-A child support debt balance.  A refund is necessary when the URA balance is driven positive by a payment.  It may be done by either DWS or CSS CRU, depending on the date of the payment that drives the URA positive.  If a CSS refund is necessary after a manual URA calculation has been completed, issue a refund to the CP for the URA EXCESS amount.



Handling Inquiries on Overpayment Cases


All OR_ debts open as OPMT (Erroneous Payment) cases on ORSIS fall into one of the three categories listed below.  If you receive an inquiry on an ORS overpayment case, determine the debt type and refer to the following instructions:


1.                   ORS forged check debts:  These debts are worked by the ORS Employer Agency Customer Service Unit (EACSU).  Refer calls on these debts to EACSU;


2.                   ORS bad check debts:  These are debts which resulted from money that was paid to a CP from a NCP’s check that was returned from the bank unpaid due to insufficient funds or stopped payment.  If a CP calls to find out why s/he did not receive a payment, and it posted to the CSS case to replace a bad check, explain that the payment was used to repay a bad check on the case; and,


3.                   Other ORS debts (takebacks, transfers, and ORS agency postings to the wrong debt):  These debts are created when accounting does a takeback or a transfer to the correct debt on the child support case.  The appropriate transaction code is used by accounting to process the takeback or transfer which creates the overpayment case on ORSIS.  Accounting may or may not set up redirects on these debts.  If a redirect is not set up, there should be no calls on the case.  If accounting sets up a redirect, the CP may have questions.  If you receive a call about a payment that has been redirected to one of the above debts, refer the caller to the EACSU at 801-536-8333 or



General Communication with DWS Overpayments


To contact DWS overpayments you may:


1.                   Fax at 801-526-9833; or,


2.                   Telephone at 801-526-9810.