CS 512P Child Receiving SSI

01/88 Revised 11/17/04 Training Completed 12/02/04


Disabled children who are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are not eligible to also receive IV-A cash assistance.  However, a disabled child may be included in the Medicaid or food stamp assistance household.  When a child is receiving SSI and the non-custodial parent (NCP) is ordered to pay child support, the NCP does not receive credit towards the child support obligation for the SSI benefits the child receives.  The Office of Recovery Services/Child Support Services (ORS/CSS) will forward support payments collected for the disabled child to the custodial parent (CP), even if the CP is receiving IV-A cash assistance.  The Department of Workforce Services (DWS) may include payments disbursed to the CP against the food stamp allotment issued to the family.


Child support payments due for a child that is receiving SSI are not assigned when the family goes on cash assistance.